Wednesday, January 14, 2009

cluck

on this cold and snowy night, what stands as a beacon, welcoming weather-beaten travelers? a giant chicken, of course. specifically the giant chicken atop ron's roost.

now, i do not have a picture of said giant chicken because i actually did not go. i refused to remove my fleece blanket, big fuzzy socks, or ass from my couch. this hinders travel. my mom did go, though, and she brought me take out.

i have been to ron's roost a number of times and i can tell you with some certainty they have everything possible on their menu, which is roughly the same thickness as the bible. they have been awarded best fried chicken in the city and have been in operation since 1960.

my takeout was the chicken fingers and fries with a side of barbecue sauce. the fries were simply not good; i suspect the roost has been using the same fryer grease since 1960. the chicken was high quality, nice and white, with a good flavor to the breading. i dipped one in the barbecue sauce and immediately regretted the decision when it touched my tongue. if you do not believe barbecue sauce can taste like a hickory-smoked mix of sweat and gasoline, go to the roost.


i hope everyone is staying warm.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may be a Westside minority, but I actually prefer Proud Rooster to Ron's Roost. PR's chicken is great and everything on their menu is really good, except their mashed potatoes and gravy LOL. Their chili is REALLY good.

JKNEPFLE said...

Bummer! I'm usually pleasantly suprised with Ron's Roost. But, you gotta go with their specialty - fried chicken and hot slaw!!! :)

Amy said...

I recently went to Ron's Roost for the first time (not a native Cincinnatian, much less native west-sider) and was actually disappointed. I didn't think the fried chicken was that great. The best thing I can say about it is that it wasn't greasy, which I liked.

I guess I need to try Proud Rooster now.

Anonymous said...

The Roost has really gone downhill in the last couple years. I used to be a fan, but won't eat there anymore.

Anonymous said...

I had the BBQ sauce a few months ago, and I agree. It was awful! The hot slaw really is the best thing on the menu.

Anonymous said...

The Hot Slaw is great, the chicken is good, and let's not forget their Mock Turtle Soup-it's a real old world classic that's not to be missed.

Ginger said...

Is it really that bad?? I am going to have to come up with a hot slaw recipe because that just sounds really good. When I saw Mock Turtle Soup the recipes were just calling my name. Thanks for sharing!!!!!!

k said...

i will have to give the hot slaw at the roost a try. it's not something i would normally order on my own without such glowing recommendations!
i have not been to the proud rooster because i heard negative reviews, but now i will have to give it a try.