Tuesday, November 11, 2008

j & j restaurant

nestled in a westside strip mall is j& j restaurant, serving up double deckers the size of a le car and piles of fried potatoes that are not to be taken lightly.

we sat down and were welcomed by possibly the sweetest person ever to work in the food service industry. shur-good oyster crackers were provided to snack on while we perused the menu, which listed tons of sandwiches, breakfast, and like any westside establishment, chili.

this first picture is brian's brinner. on the right? a mountain of potatoes with cheese. to answer your question, yes, he finished almost all of it.
my mom had the hot ham and cheese. the fork is in the picture for reference. the ham was really good - grilled before being put on the sandwich. cheese melted on top. just the right amount of mayo (so she says). mom said she would have preferred it on a different bun, maybe kaiser instead of sesame.
i had the bacon and tomato double decker. the bacon was good and crunchy, and i may have snagged some of my mom's ham to make a double layer of pig products. very yummy.
all this food, plus drinks, was a mere $30. the only disappointment? the menu promised pie, but there was no pie to be had. they stopped serving it awhile back. i guess not everyone wants to eat pie after a heaping double decker, but i sure did.
J & J on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

JKNEPFLE said...

In my 32 years of westsider-dom, I don't think I've tried J&J's. Thanks for the tip! Seems like even my kids could find something they'd like.

frizzlymarie said...

Growing up I often frequented J&J's at the original location before the recent facelift. I have to say that the original wood paneled digs were a large part of the charm for me. Everytime we go there it still warms my heart and makes me think of my dad.

Anonymous said...

I think it's important to mention that they only take cash. Granted, there is a cash machine to use there, but then you have to pay a fee, etc.