Sunday, May 17, 2009

for martha, wherever i may find her

whatever happened to martha stewart? it seemed for a time she was an empress rivaling cleopatra in notoriety. she and john lennon could have shared in being more popular than jesus, as martha had an army of stepford-wife disciples behind her.

so what happened? why did we fall out of love with martha?

was it the jail time? the realization by the public that good things take a crack team, including employees with the actual job title "crafter", to accomplish? the rise of carrie bradshaw as the new feminine prototype?

i was looking through some old papers and i found a poem i wrote for an undergrad creative writing class. this was the late 90s, at the height of martha stewart frenzy. i post it for fun, not for judgement. poetry never was my strong suite.

Martha Stewart Sleeps In

Yesterday
I overslept
My alarm clock
Never
Went off
And when I woke
The world was
Different
No one's watch
Gave the same time
And on some
The time moved
Forward
And on others
Backward
I tried to have
Breakfast
But it was time for
Dinner
I started to
Panic
And called work
To see where
I should be
But there was
No answer
I asked everyone
What time it was
But no one seemed
To know
I turned on the TV
And I only saw
Static
I cried and wandered
Aimlessly
Waiting for the
Sun
To go down
Then I saw
My Backyard
Had filled with huge
Blue flowers
And People were running
Through them
Laughing
Because they were
Free

1 comment:

Eric said...

Martha is probably busy making bacon and you should be, too.

Here are some tips to get you started.

http://www.bsbrewing.com/blog/2007/08/makin-bacon/

http://www.imafoodblog.com/index.php/2009/02/25/how-to-cure-and-smoke-bacon

Personally, I think this would be a good excuse to buy a smoker so we can make decent brisket, too.