Saturday, August 15, 2009

boo julie & julia!

ok, i haven't been very up on my blog reading, so if this has already covered ad nauseam in the cincinnati food blog world, i apologize. but i just returned from julie & julia, and wow, am i suffering from major movie letdown. how can i have not liked this movie? it's about food and a food blogger. and julia child. and it stars amy adams AND meryl streep?! what's not to love? well, i will tell you.

it was boring. went on and on for ever. despite this seeming eternity, i did not feel i got to know the characters at all and they were not engaging. i didn't care what happened to them. the food didn't make me hungry. meryl streep was obviously standing on some kind of raised platform in several scenes.

i do have to say though, meryl streep was a pretty good julia child; she was fun to watch. but it just wasn't enough to hold my attention for a whole movie.

it felt like the movie tried to do so many things it didn't succeed at anything.

maybe i'm being too harsh? did i build up too high of expectations?

2 comments:

Foodstuffs said...

I don't think you're being too harsh. It wasn't a great movie by any stretch, though I think I might have enjoyed the Meryl-as-Julia vignettes quite a bit more than you did. I thought Meryl Streep was nearly spot-on as Julia (at least the Julia I "knew" from watching her on tv for years and years and from reading her memoirs and biographies).

I found the Julie Powell character completely and utterly annoying - both in her book and definitely in the movie. And I so wanted to like her character, being interested in both (food) blogging and cooking myself. But I found her character just completely boorish, at best, and totally grating, at worst.

I'm glad to see your comments though - because I was starting to think I was one of the few who weren't totally rhapsodic with praise over the movie.

Sara

k said...

i am totally with you on the julie character. i thought i would relate to her, but, like you, found her completely annoying!

i'm glad i'm not alone in my distaste.